Krishna N Ganesh
Professor and Coordinator, Chemistry
Director, IISER Pune
J C Bose Fellow (DST), NCL Pune
director at iiserpune.ac.in
kn.ganesh at iiserpune.ac.in
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research,
Main Building, First Floor,
Dr. Homi Bhabha Road, Pashan,
Pune 411008, India
previous work experience
B.Sc and M.Sc (Bangalore University)
1972-1977, Ph.D (Delhi University)
1977-1980, Ph.D (Cambridge University, UK)
1981-1987, Scientist, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad
1987-2006, Scientist, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune
1994-2006, Head, Division of Organic Chemistry (Synthesis), NCL,
July 2006 - present: Professor and Director, IISER Pune
Science Academy Medal for Young Scientists, Indian National Science
Academy, New Delhi.
1993: Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore
1998: CSIR Bhatnagar Award in Chemical Sciences
1999: Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, Delhi
2004: Silver Medal, Chemical Research Society of India, Bangalore
2005: TWAS Prize in Chemical Sciences
2005: Elected Secretary, Biomolecular Chemistry Division, Sub
2006: JC Bose Fellowship, Department of Science and Technology, India
2006: Fellow, Academy of Sciences for Developing World (TWAS), Trieste
2014: SASTRA CNR Rao Award in Chemistry
2015: HK Firodia Award in Chemical Sciences
2016: National Researcher Award in Nanoscience and Technology, DST, New Delhi
Biomolecular chemistry of nucleic acids, peptides and lipids; drug development; antisense/antigene technology; DNA diagnostics and nanotechnology; chemistry education
1. Mahesh V. Sonar and Krishna N. Ganesh, Switching structures by H-bond rearrangement: Transformation of β-structure in poly-4S-Aminoproline to PPII conformation, Org. Lett, 2010, 12, 5406-5409.
2. Roopa Mitra and Krishna Ganesh, PNAs grafted with (a/g, R/S)-aminomethylene pendants: Regio- and stereospecific effects on DNA binding and improved cell uptake, Chem. Commun., 2010, 12, 5390-5393.
3. Amit N. Patwa, Rajesh G. Gonnade, Vaijayanti A. Kumar, Mohan M. Bhadbhade, Krishna N. Ganesh, Ferrocene–bis(thymine/uracil) conjugates: Base pairing directed, spacer dependent self assembly and supramolecular packing, J. Org. Chem, 2010, 75, 8705-8708.
4. Nagendra K. Sharma and Krishna N. Ganesh, Enhanced stability of G-Tetraplexes from Conformationally Constrained aep-PNA backbone, Organic Biomolecular Chemistry, 2011, 9, 725-729.
5. A Gourishankar and Krishna N Ganesh (α,α-dimethyl)glycyl (dmg) PNAs: achiral PNA analogs that form stronger hybrids with cDNA relative to isosequential RNA, Art DNA, PNA:XNA, 2012, 3, 1-9.
6. M. Umashankara, Manaswini Nanda, Mahesh Sonar, and Krishna N. Ganesh, 4(R/S)-Amino/Guanidino-substituted Proline Peptides: Design, Synthesis and DNA Transfection Properties, Chimia, 2012, 66, 936–940.
7. Manaswini Nanda and Krishna N. Ganesh, 4(R/S)-Guanidinylprolyl Collagen Peptides: On-Resin Synthesis, Complexation with Plasmid DNA, and the Role of Peptides in Enhancement of Transfection, J. Org. Chem. 2012, 77, 4131−4135.
8. Krishna N Ganesh and Yamuna Krishnan, Nucleic Acids − Chemistry and Applications. J. Org. Chem. 2013, 78, 12283−12287.
9. Deepak R. Jain and Krishna N. Ganesh, Clickable Cγ‑Azido(methylene/butylene) Peptide Nucleic Acids and Their Clicked Fluorescent Derivatives: Synthesis, DNA Hybridization Properties, and Cell Penetration Studies. J. Org. Chem. 2014, 79, 6708−6714.
10. Deepak Ramesh Jain, Libi Anandi V., Mayurika Lahiri, and Krishna N. Ganesh, Influence of Pendant Chiral C#-(alkylideneamino/guanidino) Cationic Sidechains of PNA Backbone on Hybridization with Complementary DNA/RNA and Cell Permeability, J. Org. Chem. 2014, 79, 9567-9577.
11. Deepak R. Jain and Krishna N. Ganesh, Clickable Cγ‑Azido(methylene/butylene) Peptide Nucleic Acids and Their Clicked Fluorescent Derivatives: Synthesis, DNA Hybridization Properties, and Cell Penetration Studies. J. Org. Chem. 2014, 79, 6708−6714.
12. Deepak Ramesh Jain, Libi Anandi V., Mayurika Lahiri, and Krishna N. Ganesh, Influence of Pendant Chiral Cγ-(alkylideneamino/guanidino) Cationic Sidechains of PNA Backbone on Hybridization with Complementary DNA/RNA and Cell Permeability, J. Org. Chem. 2014, 79, 9567-9577.
13. Muddegowda Umashankara, Mahesh V. Sonar, Nitin D. Bansode and Krishna N. Ganesh, Orchestration of Structural, Stereoelectronic, and Hydrogen-Bonding Effects in Stabilizing Triplexes from Engineered Chimeric Collagen Peptides (ProX‑ ProY‑ Gly)6 Incorporating 4(R/S)‑Aminoproline, J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 8552-8560.
14. Satheesh Ellipilli and Krishna N. Ganesh, Fluorous Peptide Nucleic Acids: PNA Analogues with Fluorine in Backbone (γ-CF2-apg-PNA) Enhance Cellular Uptake, J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 9185-9191.
15. Satheesh Ellipilli, Raghavendra Vasudeva Murthy and Krishna N. Ganesh, Perfluoroalkylchain conjugation as a new tactic for enhancing cell permeability of peptide nucleic acids (PNAs) via reducing the nanoparticle size, Chem Commun, 2016, 52, 521-524.
16. Nitin D. Bansode, Mahesh V. Sonar and Krishna N. Ganesh, A nanofiber assembly directed by the non-classical antiparallel β-structure from 4S-(OH) proline polypeptide, Chem. Commun., 2016, DOI: 10.1039/c6cc00838k
1. An enzymatic process for the preparation of optically pure diols, S.B.desai, N.P.Argade and K.N.Ganesh, Indian Patent, 2738/DEL/96
2. A new process for the preparation of (±)–threo-ethyl 3-(4-methoxyphenyl)-2,3-diacetoxy propionate, S. B. Desai, N.P. Argade and K. N. Ganesh, Indian Patent, 2739/DEL/96
3. Method for the hydrophobisation of DNA molecules, M. Sastry, A. Kumar, V. Ramakrishnan and K.N.Ganesh, U.S.Patent NF 304/01
4. Chiral, charged peptide nucleic acid oligomers from cyclic monomers, V. A. Kumar, M. D’Costa and K. N. Ganesh, US patent 7579563, (2009)